Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4 Drop in Three Month
Jul 14, 2013

I have been positive since 1999. Always undetectable with medicine. I went for labwork March 21, 2013 and had a CD4 count of 775 and a CD4 percentage of 31. VL was undetectable. My June 28, 2013 number has a CD4 count of 613 and a CD4 percentage of 24.5 with an undetectable viral load. This is a twenty percent drop. I am worried over nothing. By the way, my baseline viral load was 40, 000 with a CD4 count of 375 in October of 1999. I was on Trizivir only ( twice daily ) for 10 years and switched to Atripla in 2009. After treatment started, I was always undetectable and CD4 count never fell below 500, but I never had a 20 percent drop in three months. T cells have ranged from 550 to 925. Believe it or not, the T cell average with Trizivir was higher than Atripla.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I understand your concern, given the CD4 count and percent decline. I try never to base any trend or change in clinical condition on one set of numbers. So it is always important to get a repeat and see whether this is a consistent change or not. I would make sure that nothing else was going on at the time (other ongoing medical condition, infection, immunization, etc). I think that given your long-standing undetectable viral load, and continued undetectable viral load with these latest numbers, that this is unlikely to be a trend.

Previous
Original vs Generic
Next
enquiry

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.