Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low level viremia despite treatment
Jun 23, 2013

Dr. Holodniy,

After being undetectable (VL<20) on Atripla as my first regimen for almost 2 years, my latest blood tests indicate low viremia (without increase), though I am 100% adherent

Before Nov 2011: VL<20 Nov 2011: VL 55, CD4 517, 26% March 2012: VL 55, CD4 560, 35% June 2012: VL 24, CD4 555, 29% Oct 2012: VL 50, CD4 630, 37 % Feb 2013: VL 24, CD4 765, 30%

What do you make of these numbers? I am worried about emergent resistance and failing treatment, and rather confused and anxious. Time for a switch or intensified treatment?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I certainly understand your concern. Unfortunately the data is controversial as to the meaning of such persistent, but extremely low viral loads, and then what to do. When the viral load detection limits were around 50 copies, and everyone was undetectable and < 50, we never cared. Now that the viral load tests can measure below this threshold, many people are persistently detectable. A minority percentage of these will demonstrate virologic failure, and many will not. We don't have a good handle on what all the variables are that predict who will and who won't fail. The intensification studies for this situation have not provided a clear answer that such strategy works. Given where your CD4 count and percent are (both in the normal range), I would be inclined to stay the course, but following things very closely.

Previous
1 year ART, still detectable viral load?
Next
Supplements

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.