Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Average CD4 rise rate
Jun 16, 2013

I was diagnosed HIV+ about four months ago, although having been infected years ago. My viral load was around 155.000/mm and my CD4 was only at 003. I have gotten hepatitis for an intense cytomegalovirosis and after many exams that's how I got to know I was HIV+.

Now I'm on treatment for about three months and a half and responding nicely to it! Two months after I began treatment, my HIV viral load droped from 155.000 to 64 and my CD4 rose from 003 to 049. The meds are: Ganciclovir; Efavirenz + Tenofovir + Lamivudine.

I want to know on witch rate does CD4 rise considering it came to once being at 003? What is an average rising rate for CD4 considering the cocktail meds I referred to? How long will it take so my CD4 reach up to 300 proportionally to the rise it made in two months of treatment?

Thanks a lot.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

It is often difficult to predict how high and how fast a CD4 count will rise after starting HIV treatment. Usually the lower you start the longer it takes. Every person has a different trajectory, which can be dependent on many factors including, your underlying immune system, viral load, other ongoing infections or medical problems, among others. The CD4 count also increases faster after the HIV viral load becomes undetectable.

Previous
Variabliity of Viral Load
Next
cytomegalovirus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.