Persistent Grade 1 Increase in SGPT

Dear Doctor,

I have had a persistent increase in SGPT level at 53 U/L (normal 0-41) at 1 and 6 months after the start of Atripla but with normal SGOT, Alk. Phos and GGT. I do not drink and tried to limit the use of other medications, including Tylenol and never Ibuprofen. My virus was fully suppressed from month 1 and CD4 is currently around 490@22%. My lipid profiles are a bit out of range too with too high Triglyceride, too high cholesterol, too high LDL but also very good HDL. They are bad but not to the point where lipid-lowering medications are indicated.

How critical is it if my increased SGPT level continues to persist? What can one do to improve the level, short of changing the regimen (I have been unusually sensitive to many other regimens including all PI-based, Isentress and Abacavir such that I cannot be put on them due severe reactions/side effects). My ID doctor suggests a 3-6 month follow up to monitor the level but is this something I should be heavily concerned? Any suggestions please? Thanks so much.

I would not be concerned with a mild increase in this enzyme level. This is very common with HIV medications in general. It is prudent to get follow-up testing to see if there are any significant further increases.

Positive viral load but equivocal antibody results
switch back to atripla