VL decreased dramatically without meds

Hi doctor,

I have the following situation: i was diagnosed back in november 2009 and until today, my VL and CD4 have evolved the following way (i am NOT taking medication)

nov 2009 VL 210.000 - 698 cd4 30.4% March 2010 VL 40.000 - 942 cd4 31.30% July 2010 VL 2500 - 777 ce4 33.2% Feb 2011 VL 3620 - 638 cd4 33.4% Oct 2011 VL 1034 - 548 cd4 24.3% Jan 2012 VL 1091 - 523 cd4 26.5% April 2013 VL 74 - 472 cd4 28.9%

my doctor suggests to pospone taking medication (and I honestly agree as I am concern of side effects). Is this a correct decision, according to the drops of VL? What concerns me a bit is the CD4 declination, but I read in several places that the % is more important that the number itself.

thank you doctor for taking your time to provide some guidance to us. Cheers from Argentina

Yes your immune system seems to being a good job on its own controlling the virus. I would tend to agree with your doctor and recommend not starting HIV treatment at this time, even though many experts would recommend starting treatment regardless of the CD4 count or viral load results. Yes your CD4 count is bouncing around , but if you average the CD4% over time the result is 29.7%, which is essentially no change from your first result in 2009.

CD4/CD3 counts.
am I long-term nonprogressors? (elite controllers)