Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

VL decreased dramatically without meds
Apr 27, 2013

Hi doctor,

I have the following situation: i was diagnosed back in november 2009 and until today, my VL and CD4 have evolved the following way (i am NOT taking medication)

nov 2009 VL 210.000 - 698 cd4 30.4% March 2010 VL 40.000 - 942 cd4 31.30% July 2010 VL 2500 - 777 ce4 33.2% Feb 2011 VL 3620 - 638 cd4 33.4% Oct 2011 VL 1034 - 548 cd4 24.3% Jan 2012 VL 1091 - 523 cd4 26.5% April 2013 VL 74 - 472 cd4 28.9%

my doctor suggests to pospone taking medication (and I honestly agree as I am concern of side effects). Is this a correct decision, according to the drops of VL? What concerns me a bit is the CD4 declination, but I read in several places that the % is more important that the number itself.

thank you doctor for taking your time to provide some guidance to us. Cheers from Argentina

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes your immune system seems to being a good job on its own controlling the virus. I would tend to agree with your doctor and recommend not starting HIV treatment at this time, even though many experts would recommend starting treatment regardless of the CD4 count or viral load results. Yes your CD4 count is bouncing around , but if you average the CD4% over time the result is 29.7%, which is essentially no change from your first result in 2009.

Previous
CD4/CD3 counts.
Next
am I long-term nonprogressors? (elite controllers)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.