testosterone for wasting

I'm a severe hemophiliac with AIDS and Hep C. I was diagnosed with AIDS in 1985 and 1993 with Hep C. I've been doing relatively okay other than it's impossible to gain weight and my muscle tone is very poor. I've been on megace, marinol with no success. I asked my doctor if I would be a candidate for testosterone injections. I had a total testosterone blood test and he said that since my level was in the normal range that testosterone injections would not benefit me. If testosterone wouldn't work for me, what would help me gain weight, muscle tone and fullness in my facial features. I only weigh about 120 lbs and my normal weight is between 130 lbs and 135 lbs. I'm only 5'5" and 46 years old male

The devil is in the details of what the exact total and free testosterone levels are. If the total level is in the low-normal range and the free level is low, for example, you might benefit. I assume you are on HIV treatment and HIV is under control, and that other things have been evaluated like thyroid function, etc. You also don't indicate whether your HCV infection has been treated or not, which could also be contributing to your condition.

HIV+ /Swollen lymphoids /lab notes /life expectancy General questions.
one more follow up question