Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ /Swollen lymphoids /lab notes /life expectancy General questions.
Apr 14, 2013

Back ground: 31 year old male, non-drug or alcohol user or smoker. HIV+ Since August 2012. Getting professional help. Not on any treatment yet - possible adherence issue at present due to hectic University course (ends soon. Not sexually active). Negative for hepatitis, TB. Swollen Glands 3 cm (I think) under arms and prominent in groin area. Biopsy results, negative for TB and cancer etc.

Lab notes: 19/09/2012 CD4 468 11% VL 980000 08/10/2012 CD4 485 10% VL 480000 05/11/2012 CD4 411 19% VL 130000 11/02/2013 CD4 325 17% VL 110000 18/03/2013 CD4 393 17% VL 75000

Questions:

1. Are the above results typical? 2. The biopsy stated I didn't have cancer was that just in the one lymphoid they took out or is that the case of all? 3. Is this going to be my life now, constant biopsy's etc? 4. The lymphoid under my arms are uncomfortable (noting serious), how long will this be the case, will this swelling do down? 5. Given all the above information will I have a normal life expectancy? 6. When I start treatment I will probably emigrate to a country which uses generic brands. will keeping the same drug but switching to a generic brand be harmful?

Any general comments now you know my back ground?

Sorry for the list, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I have been told that my life expectancy will be normal, I still might be able to have kids (sperm washing) and I have a supportive understanding girlfriend and so what if I have to take medicine for the rest of my life, so do diabetics. I am starting to wonder what all the fuss is about with HIV?!?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. Yes. If infection was recent there can indeed be changes in both viral load and CD4 counts resembling your numbers. 2. In general, one lymph node biopsy would be representative, but not always. The swollen glands are likely the result of HIV infection alone. 3. No. 4. Although they may shrink on their own over time, HIV treatment will solve that problem. 5. In general, yes, with HIV treatment. 6. Should not be. Several countries now make HIV meds under rigorous standards.

Previous
undetecable and is scared to see if the regular h.i.v test will show negative
Next
testosterone for wasting

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.