Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AIDS with CD4 7
Apr 14, 2013

Hi Mark,

I was diagnosed with AIDS in August with a CD4 of 7 and KS diffused throughout my body (intestine, lungs and external), though external KS only look like small dots (of less than 10 in number) which dont look apparently serious.

I was only hospitalised once before AIDS diagnosis due to high fever and so far feel generally well. No breathing difficulties so far and my weight has now increased from 52kg to 62kg (back to my normal weight before AIDS). MY CD4 done in February showed it has increased to 58, though still not satisfactory. A CD4 test was done yesterday and the result should be out soon and I am hoping it will increase.

I was also put on chemotheraphy (Caelyx) since August and until now, my diffused KS spots have flattened and got smaller but the marks still there. Basically that is the only main OIs I am worried about as there is no sign of PCP. The doctor has placed me on PCP prophylaxis for a couple of months and had since stopped as I am allergic to sulphur based medication. But the doctor said I should not worry about PCP as my main problem is KS.

The oncologist has sent me for heart check up every 3 months and everything was normal so that he can resume chemo but I wonder when this chemo (now the 11th times) will stop ? He told me its indefinite until my CD4 reaches 200.

What I am worried right now is my CD4 which is merely 58 has not reached 200 yet and the risk of death, though now I feel perfectly well better than before. What are my chances of living a long life with such prognosis ??

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate whether you are on HIV treatment or not, and whether your HIV is under control (undetectable viral load). If you are not on HIV treatment, you need to be. If your CD4 count is still below 200 you should be on PCP prophylaxis. There are other medications you can take besides sulfa drugs. Although it is important to control the KS, it is just as important to control the HIV. Given what your starting CD4 count was, it will take time, and in general, I think your prognosis is good.

Previous
Blood tests
Next
Is it safe to mix these meds?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.