AIDS with CD4 7

Hi Mark,

I was diagnosed with AIDS in August with a CD4 of 7 and KS diffused throughout my body (intestine, lungs and external), though external KS only look like small dots (of less than 10 in number) which dont look apparently serious.

I was only hospitalised once before AIDS diagnosis due to high fever and so far feel generally well. No breathing difficulties so far and my weight has now increased from 52kg to 62kg (back to my normal weight before AIDS). MY CD4 done in February showed it has increased to 58, though still not satisfactory. A CD4 test was done yesterday and the result should be out soon and I am hoping it will increase.

I was also put on chemotheraphy (Caelyx) since August and until now, my diffused KS spots have flattened and got smaller but the marks still there. Basically that is the only main OIs I am worried about as there is no sign of PCP. The doctor has placed me on PCP prophylaxis for a couple of months and had since stopped as I am allergic to sulphur based medication. But the doctor said I should not worry about PCP as my main problem is KS.

The oncologist has sent me for heart check up every 3 months and everything was normal so that he can resume chemo but I wonder when this chemo (now the 11th times) will stop ? He told me its indefinite until my CD4 reaches 200.

What I am worried right now is my CD4 which is merely 58 has not reached 200 yet and the risk of death, though now I feel perfectly well better than before. What are my chances of living a long life with such prognosis ??

You don't indicate whether you are on HIV treatment or not, and whether your HIV is under control (undetectable viral load). If you are not on HIV treatment, you need to be. If your CD4 count is still below 200 you should be on PCP prophylaxis. There are other medications you can take besides sulfa drugs. Although it is important to control the KS, it is just as important to control the HIV. Given what your starting CD4 count was, it will take time, and in general, I think your prognosis is good.

Blood tests
Is it safe to mix these meds?