Re: High Calcium Levels

Hi, doctor.

I am the one who asked about the high calcium levels of my partner.

He was finally discharged from the hospital. But I just can't stop thinking that when I thought everything is going fine and he is on the road to recovery, something comes up and he is put back in the hospital.

Anyway, like I told you, he was admitted to the hospital because it was found that his calcium level in the blood is "high". His lab measurement says "18" when the upper limit of the normal range is "10" (I forgot the unit; maybe "mg/dL" according to what I found in the internet?). He was put on liquid diet and was prohibited to take any calcium-rich food sources.

The following day, it dropped to "11". And then the following day (2 days after he was admitted), he was discharged from the hospital.

Sounds simple. But since I am not in the medical field, I do not know if this really is simple or if this is something we should closely monitor.

What do you think?

(By the way, thanks for your explanation on the HIV antibodies being passed on to the baby of an HIV-positive mother. I am also that person who asked that question.)

The most common causes of hypercalcemia are hyperparathyroidism, malignancy, infections and medications. I am surprised that the level fell from 18 to 11 in one day. What did the doctors do? And were any of these explanations for hypercalcemia looked for? That would determine what would need to be done and aggressive this needs to be monitored.

cd count drop over four months
imuugobulin m deficiency