Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Neurosyphillis, Stroke, Brain Mass
Mar 17, 2013

My partner has had HIV since 2006 w/undetectable VL until a self prescribed drug holiday 8mo. In December was diagnosed with neurosyphilis & brain leison, the leison doubled in size durin the 14 days or IV penicillin(but then shrank a tiny bit while on ceftriaxon cause he became allergic when re administering penicillin cause neurosyphilis wasn't gone) His physical sypmtoms (hemiplegia, dysarthria, and aphesia) continued to worsen, after demanding steroids the symptoms stopped worsening, now his whole right side is paralyzed, cannot speak, and is NPO with a Jtube. Doctors say they can't biopsy because the leison sits on the brain stem. Do you have any idea what could be the cause of this? He tested negative for cancer cells, pet scan didn't light up for cancer (but could be low grade lymphoma), neg for taxoplasmosis, cmv, JC virus, EB virus. Is there something they could be missing? I can't sit back and wait to see if this mass grows and takes him while they do nothing to treat it. Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The rapid growth of the lesion suggests an infectious cause. It sounds like the doctors are doing an adequate work-up with scans and tests. In addition to the mentioned infections, I assume that tuberculosis and fungal infections were also looked for in the spinal fluid? Finally, what was the CSF VDRL level and did it decline after antibiotic treatment?

Previous
Skin color darkening and itching over my feet
Next
My CD4 count is 34 after 2 years of beeing on Atripla with an Undectable VL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.