Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Effectiveness Criteria of HAART
Mar 17, 2013

Dear Doctor, thank you for your concern. I'm a guy from HK. I learnt that only 3% of HIV viruse stay in the blood plasma and vast majority are stayed in the guts, lymphatic system, and other organs. Also, the guts are very riched in cd4 cells. Is it right? From these facts, my concern is that when we talk about the effectiveness of HAART as indicated by whether or not it can bring the viral load to an undetectable level, is it true that the medications can only suppress the viral level in the plasma, but not necessarily suppressing them in other tissues or organs where the vast majority of viruses situate? And may i ask about the circulation of HIV in the body? Is it that the viruses ,after replication, can be released back into the blood stream from the lymphatic system or other tissues and organs? Sorry for my bad English. Hope you can understand my questions. Best regards

Response from Dr. Holodniy

All great questions. The viral load we measure in blood plasma is a very good surrogate for what is going on in the rest of the body in terms of HIV replication, but it is not perfect. As you may be aware, HIV exists in two forms, the circulating cell free virus form (what we measure when we measure HIV viral load in blood) and the integrated DNA form that exists in a variety of cells (CD4+ t cells, monocytes, etc). HIV treatment is very good at suppressing viral load in blood and most tissues, but it only impacts the number of infected cells minimally and slowly over time. HIV drugs do get into all tissues but to varying concentrations. Thus, there can be places where some virus can be released into the blood stream and possibly be able to infect cells in other organs.

Previous
Viral Load Still Not Undetectable
Next
Drop in CD4 count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.