Can AIDS cause a stroke?

I am now 40 years old. I had a pretty major stroke two years ago. I was pretty out of it, and never asked the doctor what caused it. Can an AIDS diagnoses (CD4 Count of 12) be the cause of it? Or was it more likely caused by something else I was diagnosed with at the time: neuro-Syphillis, long-time heavy smoker, and 20 years of daily use of crystal meth. Will I eventually get over having emotional liability? Or is it here to stay?

HIV itself as a cause of stroke would be unlikely. It is more likely that neurosyphilis played a role, as syphilis can affect blood vessels and could lead to stroke. Although you are on the young-ish side for stroke risk in general, smoking and meth use also could have contributed. Depending on what area of the brain was affected by the stroke would determine if emotional lability would be associated with the stroke or not. A good neurologist or psychiatrist should be able to figure this out, and whether medications might be helpful or not.

corelation between viral load and cd4 couunt
decrease of CD4