HIV- and MDS/AML

Dr. I was diagnosed with HIV- in June of 2011, and immediately started taking Atripla because my CD4 count was 210 and my Viral Load was 11,000. Since taking Atripla, my last blood tests in November of 2012 show a CD4 of 458 and an undetectable Viral Load. My question pertains to MDS and AML. My very first blood work at this clinic was back in April of 2003, and my Platelets were 242, RBC was 4.72 and WBC was 5.3. My WBC has rebounded and is currently at 5.7, but my Platelets have declined each time I've had blood work done and are now 109, and my RBC has declined to 3.81. My father recently had chemo treatment for Myelodysplastic Anemia, and his counts are what his doctor call "In remission," or normal. My grandfather (his father) died from complications from AML. My question is, my GP knows this information, but does not seem concerned about my dropping Platelet and Red Blood Counts. I am also Anemic. Given my family history, should I get a second opinion from an Oncologist? Thank you.

Although you have had a great virologic response to Atripla, I agree, your platelet count and RBCs are going in the wrong direction. This is likely not related to the Atripla. Although your family history may be pertinent here, you should consult a hematologist to see what is going on.

Hiv meds and elevated liver enzymes
Started Medication for 3 months