Gastric Bypass and Atripla

I have been on Atripla for 5 years and in the next few weeks will be having gastric bypass surgery. This pill is rather large, will there be a problem with me taking it or it being asborbed properly? Is there a liguid, chewable, or dissolveable for of this medication?

I am not aware of any data to answer your question. Unfortunately, there is no liquid. If your viral load remains undetectable soon after surgery and is maintained at an undetectable level, that would also answer the question. Obtaining a blood level of efavirenz or tenofovir contained in the atripla might help to determine if there is adequate absorption, but is likely unnecessary if the viral load remains undetectable.

Best med for dual infection
Elevated CD8 cells 7 concerned