Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Living with Lupus & HIV
Dec 16, 2012

Hi,I'm a 29 year old female. A few months ago I was diagnosed with Lupus & was started on medication, I'm taking Chloroquine. A few weeks ago I did an HIV test and the results were positive, yet my boyfriend is negative. I was negative before being with him, I don't think it's a false positive as Lupus can sometimes give such results.I think my boyfriend is a carrier & that's something to deal with some other time. I would like to know how will these two affect my body & how do I manage of these diseases. I'm going crazy here thinking about life expectancy of both diseases. Please help

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what HIV test was performed and whether this was just a screening test, or a confirmatory HIV test was also positive. Both HIV infection and lupus increase the inflammatory response in the body. The interactions between HIV infection and lupus are not entirely understood. If HIV infection is confirmed, it is best to start HIV treatment and get the virus under control and eliminate it as a variable that could make the lupus worse. This also will require coordination between the doctors managing your lupus and those who would be involved in managing HIV infection, as there could also be drug-interactions between the different meds as well.

Previous
LTNP/HIC now with viremia - should I be on medication?
Next
Odd Symptoms

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.