LTNP/HIC now with viremia - should I be on medication?

Dear Dr. Holodniy: Thanks a million for your time and expertise. MY LABS: 07/29/10 RNA <48 / RNA(log10) <1.7 / %CD4 25 / CD4 Abs 426. 12/07/10 RNA 132 / RNA(Log10) 2.1 / %CD4 25 / CD4 Abs 638. 12/08/11 RNA <48 / RNA(Log10) <1.7 / %CD4 23 / CD4 Abs 603. 12/11/12 RNA 6851 / RNA(Log10) 3.8 / %CD4 24 / CD4 Abs 466. MY HX: I am 67 yrs. old. I was diagnosed HIV+ in July 2010, but because of projected exposure, onset may have been much earlier. Since August of 2012, I have been on a 1200 calorie, plus exercise, weight loss campaign. To date I have lost 25.5 lbs.(from 192 to 166.5). I have also recently changed BP meds from Tekturna HCT to Lisinopril HCTZ. I am not, and never have been, on HIV meds. Prior to the most recent labs, I was told that I was a long term non-progessor/controller. MY Q's: 1) Is it possible that the substantial weight loss caused, or contributed to, the current VL? 2) Is it possible that the BP med change caused, or contributed to, the current VL? 3) Is the current VL reason to be alarmed, and/or reason to start meds?

There is not much data regarding an answer to your question. It seems plausible that catabolic stress, brought on by this kind of diet, could stimulate various kinds of immune or inflammatory proteins to trigger HIV replication. Given the mechanism of action of your BP meds (which work on kidney hormones and function) it seem unlikely that would be the cause. I would get the viral load repeated, and would never make any decision about starting treatment based on one viral load result. You dont' indicate whether you have stopped your 1200 calorie diet and returned to a normal caloric diet. I think if you have, I would wait about a month to retest, in order to get your system back in equilibrium.

Truvada + Raltegravir Resistance
Living with Lupus & HIV