Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD3+CD4+ count and Viral Load
Dec 16, 2012

Good afternoon Dr. Holodniy,

First and foremost, thank you for doing this! This is absolutely invaluable. I just found out that I am HIV+ back in late November and have already started on HAART regiment of Complera. My CD3+CD4+ count is in the mid 800 range and the % being at 28%. My initial viral load is at 444. There is a plethora of information out there. My doctor says this is a "GOOD START" however, given that my viral load is so low, it may be difficult to do the genotype of the strain. I would like to know what numbers I can expect when keeping up with the medication, diet, and exercise. Also, is it possible to get the viral load down to <20 or even <10?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You doctor is correct. Your CD4 count and percent are in the normal range and your viral load is very low. In addition, most laboratories will not perform a resistance test if the viral load is < 1,000 copies/ml, which your is. So yes, given where you are starting from, there should be no difficult in getting to undetectable viral load (certainly < 20 where most commercial test thresholds are). Since your CD4 count is already in the normal range, you can expect some, but not a dramatic increase in number.

Previous
Am I infected
Next
Response to CD4 Drop

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.