Viral Load Increasing, Treatment Failure Worry

HIV+ since 2002, started Atripla in Jan 2009 when VL at 40,000, tcells at 450. Have only been undetectable a few times since then. Most recently, VL was 400 3x in a row, then 800 this past October. Tcells have been stable and increased to about 700 since I started meds in 2009, and otherwise good health and no complications. I have not seen my doc since Oct, but am due to see him again in Dec. He previously advised a wait and see approach regarding the increasing VL. Do you think I am experiencing treatment failure? I've only been on meds a bit less then 4 yrs and didn't think they'd be failing so soon. I tolerate the Atripla well and am concerned about having to switch. What is my next option if I need to switch? Is switching meds a big concern, or do most people on meds go through this? If one regimen fails, are others likely to fail as well? Thanks.

Assuming you have good adherence to the meds, this persistence of low viral load indicates some level of treatment failure and low level resistance to one or more of the meds in Atripla. The viral load is just at the borderline of whether a resistance test can be obtained. Most laboratories like to have a viral load of > 1,000 to perform the test. There are many options for switching meds and this can be done empirically, but it best done with knowing what the resistance test information tells you.

HCV count
Treatment of HIV