removing azt from working regimen

I been positive since the 80's and finally became undetectable with combivir, viread, and Kaletra about 7 yrs ago. (viracept was the pi I had previously taken).

My liver enzymes have been slightly elevated for 2 years and I have the unsightly paunch and some wasting.

My doctor suggests switching to truvada and prezista. I have resisted since that removes 1 drug from a working regimen. How can we know with any certainty that AZT is not playing a role in the regimen? Does this change make sense?

That's a great question. Unfortunately there is no way to determine the activity level of AZT in your regimen, as you are on a regimen of 4 active drugs. Assuming your HIV viral load is undetectable, I would not be concerned about dropping the AZT (or combivir) in favor of truvada.

Syphilis concern
Are my numbers still considered "low"