Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Rapid Positive but Western Blot Inderterminate 9 months after exposure?
Nov 17, 2012

I had unprotected sex (drunken stupid mistake) with a man who only told me after that he was HIV positive - this was back in February. About two weeks later I became very ill and was checked into the hospital 4 weeks after exposure. My WBC and platelets were very low and caused concern... they tested for everything they could think of including HIV (negative) rapid, all hepatitis etc. They did a "White Blood Cell Treatment" and gave me IV antibiotics which both made me feel much much better.

Since this, I have had a persistent cough with thick yellow sputum and a general sick feeling. The doctors have pumped me full of anti-biotics for months - I was once again checked into the hospital mid October as my fever spiked, I couldn't keep anything down, and my WBC, platelets, CD4/8 ratio, and my RBC were all way too low... They did a bone marrow biopsy and other tests - it was finally nailed down to pneumonia for months - HOWEVER, one of the final tests was another HIV test (after 10 days in the hospital). This time the Elisa came back reactive for either HIV 1 or HIV 2. A confirmation Western Blot was done with "Indeterminate" results with the following:

p18 absent p24 equivocal p31 equivocal p51 absent p55 equivocal p65 present gp120 present gp160 present gp40 absent gp41 equivocal

So of course I am freaking out a little but it seems like ant-biotics make me feel better so I am wondering if there was a chance of a cross-reaction on the Elisa test? and after 9 months would the WB have been positive if it was positive? Why so many "Equivocal" bands? I know I need to go back and retest within 3 to 6 months but wondering what my risk factor is here....what else could this be?

Thank you for any advice (I know unprotected sex is a bad idea!), help or suggestions.

Some background includes growing up in South Africa for 12 years and I have had a TB Vaccination when I was younger - further Lupus does run in my family (tested negative) but positive on the ANA test for something "Autoimmune" ... My WBC has leveled to normal but my platelets are still 71'ish

Response from Dr. Holodniy

those HIV tests, including the western blot should be repeated, and if still reactive, a HIV viral load test should be performed.

Previous
Lab Results for HCV RNA Quantitve Real Time PCR
Next
Syphilis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.