Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Body coping on it's own
Nov 3, 2012

I have been diagnosed since July 2011 and since then have been getting checked every three to six months, depending on my test results. Initially I did go as low as the 200's for my CD4 and in the 100's of thousands for my viral load. Since then my body seems to have been adjusting gradually and my latest test last week showed a CD4 of 890 and a viral load of 6,800 (it increased to the 400's then to 600's and now 800's)

I am 32 very fit, gym regularly and am a part-time fitness instructor and eat very well with limited alcohol. The strange thing is that I thought I would have a low CD4 reading as I have got the flu two times quite close together recently.

Is this type of steady increase normal and can the body keep repairing and controlling the virus on it's own? If so, are there any people on here that aren't on medication still and it's been a good number of years?

It's almost making me second guess the good news of the readings.

I guess I am doing something right!

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, you and your immune system are doing something right. Although you have a low detectable viral load, your CD4 count has recovered nicely. And although it is too soon to tell whether your will need HIV treatment in the near term, some experts would still say that you should be starting treatment now to preserve your immune system.

Previous
About HIV vrial load and result
Next
meaning of lab numbers

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.