Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C Quantitation results are 5,053,480
Nov 3, 2012

My daughter has severe C.P.and takes meds for a seizures as well. And she has Hep C.(type 1a) We found out in 2006 and I was told that she wasn't a canidate for treatment because of the seizures.I took her to another Dr. recently and they did some test ,HCV RT-PCR Quant & her results were 5,053,480 & he said these are high but she would be ok for a couple of more years to do a new treatment coming out with less side effects. Aren't these numbers dangerous? My friend had numbers in the 4 millions and was told that she was almost a liver transplant candidate. Do people with severe Cerebral Palsy ever do the treatments? Should i get a second opinion?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A HCV viral load of 5 million sounds very high, but is just above the average viral load level for this infection. In the short term, this level is not dangerous. The viral load result is but one test we use to look for evidence of liver damage. Other blood tests, liver scans, or a liver biopsy would provide more definitive information as to the extent of liver damage. I am not sure that CP is an absolute contraindication to treatment. There are definitely new HCV specific drugs that are in the pipeline now.

Previous
CD count
Next
High AST and ALT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.