Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Viral Load
Sep 30, 2012

My friend was HIV positive 6 years ago. He made a test on 03.09.2012. Results: HIV Viral Load=Not detected copies/ml. What does it mean he is HIV negative? CD$:29%;CD$:405;CD8:54%;CD8:749;ratio:0.5;CD3:85%;CD31180. On 24 September new test. Results:CD4:33%;CD4:424;CD8:52%;CD8:662 ratio:0.6;CD3:87%;CD3:1098 Why CD8 and CD3 is decreasing is not good. He is under therapy :Emtriva 200mg,Vireal 300mg and Stocrin 600mg. I'm a doctor of Judicial Science. Please an advise for my friend, does he need treatment, is he positive is he in danger situation? Thank you very much. Kind Regards

Response from Dr. Holodniy

An undetectable (not detected) HIV viral load is a good thing, and means he has responded to the HIV treatment. It does NOT mean he is HIV negative. He still remains HIV infected. I am not concerned about the fluctuations in t cell counts. He has a very good CD4 count and percent (normal is a count of 500-1500 and a percent of 30-50%), meaning his immune system has not been significantly damaged by the virus.

Previous
Forgot Atripla on vacation
Next
HCV-RNA BY REAL TIME PCR

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.