Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Forgot Atripla on vacation
Sep 30, 2012

Over labor day weekend, I left for a week's vacation and realized that I grabbed a bottle of Atripla with only 3 pills in it. Been pos since 2006 and have always been strict about taking my meds (forgot to take it maybe 7 or 8 times over the last 6 years). I was on vacation in a very rural area and with the holiday weekend, getting a trusted friend into my house in another state to express mail or get a temp scrip filled from my Dr., would have meant maybe arrival at end of week. Not to mention coming up with cover stories for my family about the delivery or finding a PRX that would have Atripla. Wondering if I made a poor decision to skip a night between doses to stretch out the 3 pills, with last dose on Thurs. before returning home on Sunday evening and getting back on my nightly dosage schedule. I know the cardinal rule about skipping doses, but didn't know what else to do. Last test in November 2011, I was undetecable, good % (sorry forgot what it was) and count was close to 400 and very healthy otherwise. Waiting for my annual test and very worried about the lapses in doses that week. Since this test is so close to the week with several misses, when will I know if I am risk for drug resistance and the odds of it happening?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You are likely going to be OK, given the amount of time you remained undetectable before this incident. It's hard to predict whether you dodged a bullet or not. I think you just need to get your viral load rechecked. If it remains undetectable then you'll have your answer.

Previous
HIV And Fatty Liver
Next
HIV Viral Load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.