Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why isn't HTLV ever considered?
Sep 16, 2012

Dr. Holodniy,

I've read many posts where people are asking about the possibility of HIV with respect to negative or undetermined testing, especially when P24 testing is involved. At the risk of sounding flattering, this site is best place for *any* questions to get answered, so I'd like to ask a question here and now that has gotten routinely shot down on the other sites (POZ, MedHelp, etc): Why isn't HTLV ever considered as an alternative diagnosis to HIV? Since HIV & HTLV share P24, since they are both retroviruses, since they both transmitted in the same manner, since they both cause very similar symptoms, why wouldn't people testing negative for HIV antibodies and/or somewhat reactive to P24 ever be considered for HTLV? The number of people infected with HTLV is astonishing for a disease that is never mentioned (almost in the ballpark of HIV infections, with many HIV patients co-infected with HTLV), and is especially high within the IV drug user community. Why can't doctors (present company excluded I hope) talk openly about HTLV? Ironically, the only person who has given the whole picture of HTLV is Rick Sowadsky on this site, who's not even a doctor (great thanks to Rick, since without his candor, I'd never know about HTLV). So I'd like to understand from your perspective please why this is - why is HTLV swept under the rug, so to speak? And, more importantly, what can we do to change that denial, so that HTLV is considered a public health issue as much we do for HIV, Hepatitis, etc?

Thank you in advance for your compassion & thoughts.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I have no issues with HTLV 1 and 2 testing. They are tested for in every donated unit in blood banks in the US. Clinical testing would have to be more nuanced, based on the clinical history, physical findings, and epidemiology (prevalence and incidence) in the specific community.

Previous
Viral Load - Lab Result
Next
Reoccurance of syphilis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.