Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CD4% and CD4 Count Discordance?
Aug 5, 2012

Dear Mark,

I just came from receiving my third results after being diagnosed in January. I'm not in treatment yet.

These are my results:

January - CD4 689, CD4% 26%, VL 1000 April - CD4 501, CD4% 24%, VL 4000 July - CD4 813, CD4% 19%, VL 3225

My concern is about the CD4% which seems to be decreasing significantly even though my absolute CD4 count has been relatively high and stable. I know the CD4% is meant to be the more stable number and so I'm obviously worried about this, since this might mean that the HIV is actually progressing at a fast pace, while the CD4 count is just fluctuating.

I have read you say that a normal CD4 count is >500 and a normal CD4% is between 30%-35%. I fulfill the former but not the latter and this worries me.

Greetings from the UK and thank you in advance for your advice,

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, the trend is concerning. I would recommend starting HIV treatment.

Previous
should i start medication although viral load is undetectable?
Next
undetectable vs. detected but too low to count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.