CD4% and CD4 Count Discordance?

Dear Mark,

I just came from receiving my third results after being diagnosed in January. I'm not in treatment yet.

These are my results:

January - CD4 689, CD4% 26%, VL 1000 April - CD4 501, CD4% 24%, VL 4000 July - CD4 813, CD4% 19%, VL 3225

My concern is about the CD4% which seems to be decreasing significantly even though my absolute CD4 count has been relatively high and stable. I know the CD4% is meant to be the more stable number and so I'm obviously worried about this, since this might mean that the HIV is actually progressing at a fast pace, while the CD4 count is just fluctuating.

I have read you say that a normal CD4 count is >500 and a normal CD4% is between 30%-35%. I fulfill the former but not the latter and this worries me.

Greetings from the UK and thank you in advance for your advice,

Yes, the trend is concerning. I would recommend starting HIV treatment.

should i start medication although viral load is undetectable?
undetectable vs. detected but too low to count