Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Newly Infected but low VL
Aug 5, 2012

I was diagnosed the last month ( 29/6) that iam HIV+, i was sure that something is happening because i had a risky date on 29/5 and after a week i had some symptoms of acute infection. On 10/7 I gave a blood sample for the first blood test and Ive just got the results. CD4 590 and Viral Load 1000, I dont know the CD4%. - I wanted to ask you if that result could be possible for a newly infected person and why? - On the other hand could that be a scenario that i was already infected for months? (even if iam sure that happend on May). - If the first hypothesis could be true, the early start of medication could be an option? (taking into account the revised US guidelines 2012).

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Yes, it is possible that infection could have already occurred previously, especially if you don't have any recent prior HIV tests that were negative to know for sure. It would be unusual to have that low of a viral load within a month of acute infection, but not impossible. Yes, the current guidelines have just been revised and now recommend that even those people with numbers like yours would benefit more from starting treatment earlier rather than later.

Previous
I'm a 23 year old guy who just was told I'm HIV + I go to my doctor next week what are something that keep me from thinking about this ?
Next
3 times positive in elisa

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.