Could pregnancy and termination affect CD4 count?
Jul 22, 2012
I have just been diagnosed HIV+ and my CD4 count is 208, but on the same day I had a medical abortion at 6 wks. Could pregnancy have caused my CD4 count to be low and is it likely that it will increase again now the abortion is complete?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Pregnancy can be associated with a decline in CD4 count, which usually recovers after pregnancy. However, your CD4 count is quite low and unlikely to be the result of just being pregnant. You count may recover somewhat, but I think you are looking at starting HIV treatment soon.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- If You Have Hiv Symptoms Can Test Results Show Up Negative?
- How Long Does It Take To Feel Hiv?
- Can A Culture Done By A Gynecologist Detect Hiv?
- Currently It Is Estimated That The Longest Time Between Hiv Infection And Onset Of Symptoms Is About How Many Years
- Healing Sores And Hiv
- What's The Difference Between The Hiv Virus And Herpes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.