Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Low Detectable Viral Load while on Truvada
Jul 22, 2012

Hello,

I have been on Atripla since 2008. My viral load has never been consistently undetectable, although is usually 200 or under. My last 3 viral load tests have been in the 400 range. My doctor doesn't have a high level of concern about this, although he indicated we may do a resistance test in the near future. Do you think I am becoming resistant to Atripla? I've read that those who don't have an undetectable viral load have a much higher susceptability to other illnesses like cancer, heart problems, etc. Would this include people like me whose viral load is still low, but detectable? Should I switch meds? My tolerance for Atripla is good so I'm dismayed at the possibility of needing to switch meds after about 4 years on Atripla. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The consistency and the viral load level indicate that failure of the regimen is possible. Although the viral load is still too low to get a resistance test (usually requires a viral load > 500-1000), it is likely time to consider a change in HIV meds. In terms of higher susceptibility to illness, that is usually in those people not on HIV meds. Although you don't indicate what your CD4 count is, in general, these other illnesses affect those with lower CD4 counts.

Previous
Does my VL give any indication of the length of time I was infected?
Next
New Diagnosis- Low CD4 and Low VL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.