All numbers are "normal" except total CD4 count

I am a 54 year old woman who has been on HIV meds since 2009. My initial numbers were a viral load of 50,000, a total CD4 of 290 and a CD% of 25. Over the next three years every blood test has shown a non-detectable viral load and a CD% of between 29 and 33%. But the overall CD4 count has NEVER his the "magic" 500 level except for one test about 18 months ago. My most recent level was 380. I am really concerned about this, but my doctor tells me that with a % number over 30 I have nothing to worry about and that my immune system is functionally normal. His latest comment is that I must have a natually "low" CD4 count and that 400 might be "normal" for me. Have you seen this situation before and should I be worried?

Thanks

In general, I agree with your doctor. As long as the viral load remains undetectable and your CD4 percent remains above 30% you are in very good shape. If however, the CD4 count and the CD4 percent start to decline, even with an undetectable viral load, many experts would consider starting HIV treatment.

Viral vs. CD-4 Count
My Lab resuts cd4/cd8 ratio =0.75 and absoulte cd4 count is 471