Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

3-year trends, cd4+ stable and cd4+% declining
Jul 8, 2012

Hi Dr. Holodniy,

I saw another version of this question, but the time frame was significantly shorter and the variation was within expected ranges. I have not started medication and would like another opinion on the matter. Fitting a linear trendline to my lab results over 3 years (14 points), I see the following values at either end of the trendline:

My absolute CD4+ has been stable, or even slightly increased from 700 in 2009 to 800 in 2012. Meanwhile, CD4+% has been declining from ~29% in 2009 to ~22% in 2012. Absolute CD8+ has increased from 1000 (45%) to just over 2000 (60%) in this same period, and CD4+/CD8+ has in turn decreased from about 60% to 35%.

My viral load has decreased during these three years, from 2000 to 700, on the trendline.

I have been told I do not need to begin medication at this time. I am concerned about the CD4+% decrease and increasing CD8+% however. My two questions then, are:

(1) Assuming a simple linear trendline is valid for our purposes in reporting actual trends in these data, and assuming I continue to control my viral load well and absolute CD4+ remains stable, is there a point at which you would recommend treatment based on declining CD4+% and/or declining CD4+/CD8+ ratio?

(2) Have you come across any interesting journal articles in recent publication relating to this (affects of CD8+ levels and immune activation on long-term or short-term health), that you recommend for someone? I am lucky enough to have good journal access.

Thanks so much for your time and consideration.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

1. I am concerned about the trend in CD4% decline. If it truly is approaching 20%, then regardless of the absolute number, you are losing CD4 cells. Despite your viral load being detectable and low, I think you are losing cells and HIV treatment would be indicated, even with a low viral and your stable CD4 count > 500.

2. Not sure what you are looking for, but check out this very current review on CD8 cells: McDermott AB, Koup RA. CD8+ T cells in preventing HIV infection and disease. AIDS 2012 Jun 19;26(10):1281-92.

Previous
Blood Work Ratios, etc
Next
should I take 2nd HIV test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.