Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Blood Work Ratios, etc
Jul 8, 2012

Hello Doctor, I have some questions/concerns maybe you can assist. I was diagnosed in 90/91 as having AIDS, had PCP at the time and was given AZT as my first cocktail. My CD 4 counts only went up as far as 285 at one point but hover around 185-218. I have been on several cocktails over the years (almost all of them) and have only had one other bout with Pneumonia (non PCP) in that time. I have had 15 rectal surgeries for anal squamous cell carcinoma where they have gone in and cut out growths and or cortorized the area to kill off the cells. I have many concerns as I am extremely exhaused all the time and quite frankly would just like to go to sleep and not wake up. My current meds are prezista/truvada/norvir and isentress. I also now have lyphodristrophy (sp) and am getting ready to start egrifta. My current labs show CD4 at 218, CD4 Lymph 12.1, CD8 1213, CD8 lymps 67.4 and my CD4/8 ratio of 0.18. These numbers stay pretty consistant but my last cd4 was 195 (again they only fluctuate by about 20 points/up or down).. My md is good but she says youll live a very long time and that from what I have read is not the case. What realistically would be a lifeexpectancy for someone with my type of labs? and am I wrong for being tired and just wanting to check out? It's been a long hard struggle for me over the pasy 2 decades and would like to know/understand my labs a little better.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I tend to agree with your doctor about your prognosis. Although you are in a group where the CD4 count has not moved up to any great degree above 200, being on HIV treatment with undetectable viral loads puts you in a much better place with respect to controlling the infection than someone with those counts not being on HIV treatment. There are certainly others who have your kinds of numbers and are leading healthy lives.

Previous
weird cd4 - vl counts
Next
3-year trends, cd4+ stable and cd4+% declining

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.