Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Positive Elisa Test on Hiv1/2 during pregnancy blood test
Jul 8, 2012

Hi Doc, as i am writting this i am in tears and i hope to get a good response, i tested poz during my ANC blood test screening, right now i am on my 2nd Trimester of pregnancy, this has been my 2nd pregnancy having had a miscarriage last in year in july. i have been married for a period of 3 yrs and my partner and have not engaged in any dubious behaviour outside our marriage. We noticed the Hosp used only Elisa test and did not do any other test, my parter tested negative and we have been very confused as no one is giving us any useful information. the doctor advised us to do a CD4 and VL test which i did after almost 3 weekks of agony. The CD4 came as 77 while the VL came as 1436. My physician has adviced i start on treatment immeadiately, We are wondering should we really start on it considering that my doc hasnt done any other test to really ascertain that i am hiv+. we still think there is something really wrong. please advice. i am really streesed out.

Thanks.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

A confirmatory western blot test should have been performed after the initial positive screening HIV antibody test. However, given the positive HIV viral load result and a very low CD4 count, the results of the screening test are likely correct. I would have the CD4 count and viral load tests repeated. If they are positive, then yes HIV treatment is indicated. In addition, I would get a HIV resistance test to make sure that the virus would not be resistant to any of the HIV drugs your doctors would prescribe.

Previous
No CD4 count, only CD3 and CD8
Next
Trofile Blood Test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.