Atripla Works

Dr. Holodniy,

Thankyou for all you do. I have been on Atripla for 3 years now. My labs continue to get better. In 2009, I was diagnosed with AIDS (CD4@151, VL 68,000) As time has gone by, my VL is undetectable and my CD4 count has eased into 459. It took awhile for my CD4 to increase. I want people to know that though it's not easy and very scary, things do get better. My question is: How does Atripla work? (i.e. does it stop the virus from "merging" with a T-cell, or does it do more than that?) I would appreciate any knowledge you can give me on how Atripla works.

Atripla contains 3 drugs that work inside the cell when the virus is already inside as well. Thus, it does not block the virus from entering the cell. These 3 drugs block an enzyme (reverse transcriptase) the virus carries with it, which allows the virus to make a copy of itself and then become integrated into the cell DNA. The drugs in Atripla block the step of making a copy.

Genital herpes+ HIV 2
Life Expectancy