Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

what does "A lot of virus in my body" mean?
Jun 23, 2012

Hello again Another question, as I feel my Doctor is avoiding telling me something. I was hospitalised two weeks ago with seroconversion illness, and upon being advised of the positive test results in hospital on 9th June, the Doctor told there "was a lot of virus in my body". I asked him the next day what my VL was and he said he didnt know! My own GP (who is supposedly a HIV Doctor) told me that he has not been advised of my VL and that it does not matter what that is anyway! My CD4 came back at 334 and 29%. I am being tested again on 23rd June for cd4, VL and virus sensitivity. I am just stressing out completely about my low cd4 results and the fact that I have a "lot of virus in my body", but no one will tell me my VL. What can I expect my VL to be? Should I be worried? I am absolutely 100% certain I was infected on 29th April.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

If this is indeed acute infection, then the amount of virus circulating would indeed be high. The viral load would most likely be > 100,000 copies/ml, and in many cases over a million. The doctors are likely saying, but not saying to you, that the viral load will be high, but that is not reflective of where the viral load will be within a few weeks, as the viral load will decrease to what we refer to as the viral load set point within a few months after seroconversion.

Previous
coughing
Next
interpretation of lab result

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.