Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV lymphoma viral load CD count
Jun 10, 2012

My partner finished chemo for plasmblastic lymphoma stage 4b about 2 months ago. His CAT scan was good and showed absence of previously visible tumours. PET scan to follow shortly. He's doing 'well' energy coming back, eating well. Weight fine. A million miles from last Christmas when tumours in the mouth were causing constant pain.

I'm trying to make sense of his viral load and CD4 count, against the backdrop of his chemo and lymphoma. His VL is 'undetectable' around 53 and most recent cd4 count is 164. I don't have trend details to hand. I was wondering what the likelihood is of his CD4 count still being repressed after chemo (as I say, 2 months on) or whether this likely merely reflects the impact of his HIV.

I appreciate the nebulous nature of enqury, but I'm really after any general information on patterns of likely response in this situation, even, perhaps, separating out what is doing what on his immune system. I think he started his anti retrovirals about 9 months ago.

thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

You don't indicate what the CD4 count was prior to chemotherapy in order to understand the trend. But yes, chemotherapy will usually cause a reduction in CD4 count that can take weeks to months to resolve and get back to where the count was before chemotherapy.

Previous
T Cell fluctuations
Next
who invented the treatment for hiv/ aids?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.