Almost non-detectable viral load

Hi Doc- thanks for the great forum you have. I have a question about viral load. My t-cell count has been stable at about 380 at 18 and 19% for the last four years. My viral load as been 58, 84, 47, 81, 46 and most recently 65. My doctor insists that this is just fine, even though its not undetectable. What are your thoughts?

Assuming you are on HIV treatment, given the long stability of your CD4 count and percent, I would agree with your doctor. The published data is controversial about the outcomes of people in your situation and about what to do. Some studies conclude that treatment failure is higher in people with these kinds of viral loads, whereas other studies have not found this to be true, unless the viral load increases significantly above 200 or the CD4 count/percent begins to decline.

viral load 5500
Decreased CD4, KS Lesions, Chemotherapy