Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

viral load 5500
Jun 3, 2012

Hi Mark

Thank you for answering my question, just to give you a bit of a background in 1987 was diagoinsed with Gullian barre syndrome and was 90% recovered and till last year when I found out that am HIV positive and also have peripheral neuropathy. My doctor has given me treplin and pyrodoxine, however am still scared that this gullian barre will come back again and lose my mobility. Do you think I should start ARV's considering my cd4 count is still high (1146) and the viral load of 5500

Response from Dr. Holodniy

We don't completely understand the triggers for GB syndrome, but it has been associated with certain viral infections and after certain vaccinations. Whether HIV infection itself can produce this syndrome is unclear, but we see very little of it in people with HIV infection alone. Given your CD4 count, which is in the normal range, and your low viral load, there is no urgency to start ARVs. However, eliminating HIV as a trigger for GB syndrome by starting ARVs could also be considered in your situation.

Previous
Medicine for AIDS
Next
Almost non-detectable viral load

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.