viral load 5500

Hi Mark

Thank you for answering my question, just to give you a bit of a background in 1987 was diagoinsed with Gullian barre syndrome and was 90% recovered and till last year when I found out that am HIV positive and also have peripheral neuropathy. My doctor has given me treplin and pyrodoxine, however am still scared that this gullian barre will come back again and lose my mobility. Do you think I should start ARV's considering my cd4 count is still high (1146) and the viral load of 5500

We don't completely understand the triggers for GB syndrome, but it has been associated with certain viral infections and after certain vaccinations. Whether HIV infection itself can produce this syndrome is unclear, but we see very little of it in people with HIV infection alone. Given your CD4 count, which is in the normal range, and your low viral load, there is no urgency to start ARVs. However, eliminating HIV as a trigger for GB syndrome by starting ARVs could also be considered in your situation.

Medicine for AIDS
Almost non-detectable viral load