Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is my daughter a non progresser?
May 13, 2012

I have an 9 year old daughter who has HIV. She was adopted at 4 days old. Her HIV was not diagnosed until she was 5, and then it was an exclusionary test for something else. Her viral load is consistantly between 4000 and 6000 and her CD4's are 900 to 1100. She is in great health, never takes meds, except vitamins. She has an extraordinary ID Dr. Is she a non-progresser and how is that determined?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

This terminology can be confusing. In general people who are HIV infected and have normal CD4 counts/percents, low or undetectable viral loads for > 10 years without treatment are considered nonprogressors. A subset of these folks are called elite controllers. They don't have a detectable viral load. Your daughter may be in the nonprogressor group, although her viral load is a little higher than it would be for most.

Previous
Confusion of Syphilis RPR Titer
Next
my partner got new treatment today

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.