low cd4 court

hey my partner is hiv + and hiv - he is on medcation everything seem's to be going on okay but his CD4 keeps fluctuating which deosn't make any sense, last year around thanksgiving his CD4 was 286, april of this year is 24 he was told his status is advance aids. he was told all his WBC and Kidney function is good and he is healthy, he is been put on bactrim. his status is really depressing me, how worried should i be, am using protection with him. what is the difference between HIV virus and Adance AIDS.and how bad is his status can you please help.

You don't indicate whether he is on HIV meds or not, and what his HIV viral load is doing. It would seem impossible that his CD4 decreased from 286 to 24 in that time frame. Are you sure that the 24 number is not the CD4 percent and is the actual CD4 count? Someone with HIV infection who has a CD4 count < 200 or < 14% by definition has AIDS and is at risk for developing serious infections.

I just found out that an ex boyfriend is now HIV positive.
Viral Load