I just found out that an ex boyfriend is now HIV positive.

Hello and thank you for being here to answer our questions. I am currently an HIV+ female that was diagnosed about 2 years ago. I just found out that one of my partners that I was with 1 year prior to my diagnosis has now tested positive for HIV. When I tested I had a viral load of 105. Is it more likely that I gave it to him considering my viral load 1 year later or more likely that he caught it from a previous girl friend and gave it to me? Thank you again.

The answer to the question can only be definitely answered by looking at the genetic sequence of each viral strain to see how similar or different they are. Testing for this is not a routine laboratory test (although is done at research and crime labs), and as you can imagine is fraught with all sorts of legal ramifications. Although your viral load at the time of diagnosis was very low, and would suggest a lower risk of transmission to others, transmission could still be possible.

VL INCREASE before reaching UD
low cd4 court