VL INCREASE before reaching UD

First thank you for this site and all it's contributors.

I was dx 9 mo ago HIV pos. My first lab in Nov were Vl 800,000 and Cd4 of 299. 2nd lab in Jan were VL 15,000 CD4 400. 3rd lab in April VL 17,000 CD4 433. I started Atripla in November and was surprised my VL was not UD by now and even went up since my last lab.

My question is; is this a virological failure? Is this common? I am having my VL rechecked but concerned.

Assuming you are taking your medication as prescribed, then yes, there is a problem here, which could be related to virologic failure. You don't indicate whether a resistance test was performed prior to starting HIV treatment to see whether your virus was already resistant to the HIV meds in Atripla. If not, that test definitely needs to be done now to determine if viral resistance is the problem now and if so, which medications you can be switched to.

Confused
I just found out that an ex boyfriend is now HIV positive.