Crohns and Safe Sex
Apr 22, 2012
Is there anything that a gay male with crohns disease needs to do extra to prevent an HIV infection? Does having crohns make it easier for an infection?
Response from Dr. Holodniy
Having unprotected anal receptive sex with Crohn's disease would likely put one at increased risk for transmission. Given that Crohn's can affect the GI tract anywhere and an inflammed mucosa (lining) provides an easier path for secretions containing HIV to gain access, transmission would likely be higher.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Sore Throat Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Sore On Mouth After French Kissing Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Feet After Licking Genital Worried I Have HIV
- Can An Sexually Transmitted Disease Cause White Vaginal Discharge?
- Condom Causing Penis Irritation
- Can Pelvic Inflammatory Disease Cause Swollen Lymph Nodes?
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.