Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should a long term non-progressor begin HIV meds?
Feb 26, 2012

I have been HIV+ for 14years without taking meds. Generally my CD4 is in 500-600 and a viral load of ~3000-7000 over the least 5years. I feel fine overall and rarely suffer from colds or flu or anything else for that matter. However, my physician is recommending that I start therapy do to inflammation risks of HIV. However I think I should test inflamation markers before starting therapy and only begin if these markers are showing hi degrees of inflammation. Otherwise I don't see a benefit to starting. I am currently 50 and was converted when I was 36. So two questions? Do you think I should start therapy? And if I want to measure inflammation what tests would you order? Lastly I here about vitamin D and that one should be tested for Vitamen D and perhaps take supplement to help immune system.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

The experts are split 50:50 as to whether people with CD4 counts > 500 should start HIV treatment. These decisions are usually about people who present for the first time with your kind of numbers. In your case however, time is on your side. If your numbers haven't budged for 14 years, I would be comfortable in continuing to watch. Your question regarding inflammatory markers is a good one. I am not sure what I would measure. Some people are supporting the use of C-reactive protein (CRP) which is now used to assess the risk of cardiovascular disease. There are a thousand "inflammatory" markers circulating in the blood stream but I don't believe this has been well dissected yet. Many with HIV infection, and older age, have been found to be vitamin D deficient. More data is coming out every day about the importance of vitamin D and the immune system. So a one time blood test is not unreasonable.

Previous
Riral load question
Next
stagant CD 4 or slow increase in CD 4 cells over a few years.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.