Crohns and HIV

Hi Dr. Holodniy,

I was recent diagnosed with HIV and I also have Crohns. I currently take eight 500MG-Pentasa every day and I just started my HIV treatment of Complera once a day. My doctors told me I should be fine taking the two--and that there isn't really any data about those two meds. Do you have any info on this or advice?

Your doctors are correct. There is no data on any possible interactions between these two products. Pentasa is not absorbed to a great degree, as the mechanism of action is local in the GI tract, and Complera needs to be absorbed in order for the meds to be active against HIV. Thus, there is likely no metabolic interaction between the two, although there could be a theoretical interaction in the gut related to absorption of Complera being affected by Pentasa. But you will know pretty quickly how well Complera is working. If your viral load is going down and becomes undetectable then there is likely no significant interaction.

medication when the count was 173
Treatment of Polineuropati after treatment Alluvia