Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Frustarion of feeling unhealthy and not knowing what my CBC really means!
Feb 5, 2012

Dear Doctor, I am a 38 year old male, living in Germany diagnosed with Hiv in late 2009(cd4 208)! I am on Atripla however over the course of my treatment I have been unable to gain weigh and Normally always very weak, soar, and recently beginning to have frequent headaches with my Cd4 fluxuating between 280-420! I have brought these things up with my doctor however he laughs and tells me that these things are normal & that I should not worry so much! but unfortunately my body feels like it is telling me otherwise. I feel like i am really going crazy so I was hoping that i could share my last important bits of my CBC( things that seem low and the standard stuff) and perhaps u could give me some insight on things I should specifically ask to check! CD4-408, CD4%-23, CD4/8 ratio 0.4, CD8-933, CD8%-52, DR+%3+(active t-cell%)21, LEUKO-3.2, LYMPHO% 56.6%, LympM% 52% on a scale of (17-47%), MCV-97.4, NeutAbs-1.091 on a scale of (1.700-7.200) NeutM% - 34% on a scale of (41-75%), NEUTRO% - 32%, NKT% - 16%, Thro-122, TSH-0.13 on a scale of (0.40-2.50) I Today was at my doctors and after him telling me everything was normal with these results, I asked him only if he thought The TSH was low, he told me it was a little low and ordered further blood work for the thyroid!( It's really frustrating that I had to point it out) I look forward to your reply. Tx

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Well your leuckocyte (total white blood cell, WBC) count and neutrophil count are slightly low. But that is not likely to account for your symptoms. Other than your CD4 count/percent, your blood counts are fine. I am not sure what the Thro level is. If it is the T3 thyroid hormone level, than that is in the normal range. The T4 thyroid hormone level would be in the range of 4 - 10 mcg/dL. Although your TSH level is "low" based on the normal range for the lab where it was run, people who have hypothyroidism (low thyroid) and have symptoms like you describe, actually have high levels of TSH, not low levels. The other tests for thyroid function may help, but it is unlikely that your symptoms are thyroid related based on the test results so far.

Previous
Understanding CD4 Count
Next
can i take another med?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.