Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cause of Viral Load drop
Jan 29, 2012

I am fairly newly diagnosed. (almost a year now) My first viral load test was low at 480, and my last test was even lower at 226.

I am not taking any medications, but after my first test I started taking 1500mg of Olive Leaf extract a day. I have been told it has anti-viral properties and helps fight the flu ect.. I also work out 4 days a week and use the sauna for 20min afterwords. Could these be helping me fight off the virus?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Although you don't indicate what your CD4 count, I suspect it is likely in the normal range, and therefore your immune system is in pretty good shape and accounts for why your viral load is so low. Those two viral load results, although appearing to be a significant decline, is likely not, and is more related to assay variability than your intervention. Viral load tests can have about a 2-fold difference in number without really being significantly different.

Previous
HCV RT-PCR, QUANT
Next
CD4 COUNT

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.