HCV RNA Results

I was diagnoised with Hep C in March 2010 during routine bloodwork when I found out I was pregnant. My Dr.came to the conclusion that I got the virus from a blood transfusion I received as a newborn in 1981. I recently went for my yearly checkup and my hcv rna pcr qt was 98500 iu/ml and the hcv rna pcr qt log iu/ml was 4.99. My dr left me a message stating these are low levels and it was up to me if i wanted to move forward with treatment. I guess my question is how "low" are they and would it be beneficial to hold out on treatment and the possibility of new meds that are less invasive. I currently am 30 yrs old with 2 young children. Thank you.

Your doctor is correct, that for HCV infection, it is a low viral level. Then average is about 1-3 million IU/mL, and the range is from around 100 to 100 million. The virus level is not the only thing one has to look at with respect to deciding whether treatment is indicated now or later. There are other blood tests and scans to help to determine whether the liver is functioning normally or is already damaged. In addition, the type of HCV (genotype) is important, which can be determined by a blood test, in order to know the treatment strategy one should use. I suggest you consult with a liver specialist about this.

Foamy Urine
Hepatitis B