Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Foamy Urine
Dec 11, 2011

35 year-old, white male here, poz for 10 years. I've noticed that I often have foamy/bubbly urine, especially when I haven't drank enough water. When I've googled it, many things come up about being a sign of protein in the urine. However, they also say a strong flow can cause this and doesn't necessarily mean anything. And, I posed this question to an HIV forum website with many long-term survivors. Most said they never heard anyone concerned over foamy urine.

My kidney function labs are always good. My BUN was always a 7 (the lowest number on the normal range). However, my last one was 9--still very much normal, but ticked up for the very first time. My estimated GFR on my lab report says all is okay. And, I recently had a urinalysis that came back okay. I've read HIV, itself, can cause kidney issues and not just meds.

I suppose having HIV makes one notice things they probably wouldn't otherwise. Someone asked me whether I have back pain or issues going to the bathroom. I've dealt with back pain for years, so it is hard to tell whether the pain is just normal back pain. And, I don't have issues going to the bathroom.

I guess I'm wondering if there was some issue, whether the normal labs would show it? Are there other tests that can be done? Or, is foamy/bubbly urine fairly normal and could just be due to a strong flow causing air? The foam/bubbles aren't coming out of the toilet or anything. But, it is pretty noticable. If I pee on the side of the bowl, this doesn't usually happen.

Response from Dr. Holodniy

This observation is described by many, is unrelated to HIV infection, and can be caused by some of the things you mention. Given the normal urine/blood tests you have, I would not be concerned.

Previous
more info from declining cd4
Next
HCV RNA Results

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.