The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Understanding Your LabsUnderstanding Your Labs
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

rising cd8

Dec 4, 2011

i have been positive for the past 7yrs and over the time, i have seen a steady increase in my cd8 levels. the level is currently at 1125 and % is 42. should i be worried. Also is cd8 considered a NK cell? if so, can the rising numbers be reasons behind my repeated miscarriages? Thanks

Response from Dr. Holodniy

Great question. In general, an increase in CD8 lymphocyte count is a natural reaction to HIV infection and is to be expected. The major response to HIV infection is a cytotoxic (CD8) t cell response. The nomenclature for lymphocytes is very confusing. In general, NK cells are a separate kind of lymphocyte (not a t cell per se, which are CD3+ cells) and has different receptors (like CD56). However, there are NK t cells as well. Both the NK and NKT cells can express CD8 and therefore could be theoretically counted in the CD8 pool of cells. The only way to determine whether this CD8 population of cells contains NK cells is to have the NK cells counted specifically. NK cells also have an important function in controlling HIV infection. Although increased NK cells have been associated miscarriage, you would have to be careful about manipulating this cell type, as we don't know what it would do regarding your HIV infection.

duration for the blood and sperms to be infected
life expectancy after very low cd4 count

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint